More than once source claims that the Border Terrier‘s development is largely credited to the Robson family, and specifically, John Robson. In 1857, John founded the Border Hunt in Northumberland along with John Dodd. In those early days of the Border Hunts, 15-18 pound Border Terriers were considered an ideal weight, and, anecdotally, both John Robson and his son believed that that red nosed Borders had a keener sense of smell than black nosed dogs.
In time, it would be the grandsons of the two Johns, Jacob Robson and John Dodd, who tried get these little terriers recognized by the Kennel Club. Jacob himself remembered a BT owned by the family in the 1850s, a dog named “Flint,” whom he believed lived for twenty years. He wrote of how he had witnessed Flint roust a fox from its hole without any encouraging words from the hunters even after six or seven other terriers had failed. Jacob held very high regard for Flint and clamed the dog was the best fox bolter he’d ever seen.
Jacob owned a Border Terrier named, “Chip” who in 1912 sired a dog named “The Moss Trooper.” Moss Trooper became the first Border ever registered by the Kennel Club, and in 1913, he was registered in the Kennel Club’s “Any Other Variety” listing. The first standard was written by Jacob Robson and John Dodd, and Jasper Dodd would go on to become the first President of the Border Terrier Club.
“Mother And Son” by Daniele Trottier can be purchased here